Charles Stahl was born in 1828 and served an apprenticeship with John Krauss, a potter located in Lower Milford Township in Lehigh County. Census records indicate that sometime after 1850, Charles Stahl began his pottery in Powder Valley. Charles Stahl was a traditional redware potter producing utilitarian pieces such as apple butter crocks, milk and cream pots, baking pans, pie plates, and bowls. A traditional potter served a small community or several communities and generally performed all of the necessary potting tasks by hand or with the use of water or horse power. Pieces were fashioned several ways within a traditional shop, either turned on a potter’s wheel or drape molded. Charles trained three of his sons, James, Thomas, and Isaac, in the art of potting. In 1896, Charles died and since James and Thomas had left the business prior to their father's death, it was offered to Isaac to assume control of the business. Initially, he rehired his brother Thomas, and later they formed a partnership, maintaining their father's business until 1902-03. Competition from improved technology and mechanized ceramic production forced the closing of the pottery.
Charles & Fayetta Stahl Family
View of Charles Stahl's pottery building (left rear of photo)
and homestead (right rear of photo)
Charles & Fayetta Stahl Homestead in village of Powder Valley, PA
Stahl’s Pottery Preservation Society, Inc.
To contact us:
Stahl's Pottery Preservation Society
Mailing Address: PO Box 154, Hereford, PA 18056
Street Address: 6826 Corning Road, Zionsville, PA 18092